Saturday, June 13, 2015

Hiking in the Lake district, England

 I took 2 hikes this morning, the first in Buttermere lake. Buttermere lake is small enough that one can walk round it in 2 and 1/2 hours. I wasn't a serious hiker, I didn't have time but I did walk a bit just to see what it was like. It was cloudy today, perfect weather because I didn't even break a sweat. I saw some ducks but when I approached them, they flew off. I've never seen ducks that fly.



 The second hike I took was out of Grasmere, the Easdale tarn. The description was very interesting, 'the bluebells are fading but the foxgloves are coming out...' Sometimes its the little things that some people write that pique one's interest and one just have to go to investigate. This was what I did. Even though its not bluebells' season I did see some along the way. That was very nice, it has satisfied my need to see bluebells.
 The rhododendrons are in full bloom, all the jeweled tones, some in private gardens, others in the woods. There are some places in Nepal where there are huge rhododendron forests. Again I've satisfied my need to go there to see them. I just saw them here in England. In some area they are almost like the rhododendron forests in Nepal.

 The bluebells and the foxgloves....

Today is my last day and I will almost remember these fields, vast and as far as the eye can see, filled with yellow buttercups. I'm a little sad. Now its on to the next leg of my journey but the past 10 days in England has just been stupendous. When I return in September it will be a different season.

No comments: