Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Teatime at Crook Hall and garden, Durham, England



I arrived this morning in Durham. They say the only thing worth it in Durham is Durham cathedral, the cathedral that is the resting place for St Cuthbert. But the venerable Bede is here too. My church in Los Angles is St Bede. So I had to come to pray at the burial places of both St Cuthbert and St Bede, two saints for the price of one. The cathedral is just too massive for a suitable photo to be taken and none was allowed inside. I know something our US guidebooks does not, there is another incredible place to visit in Durham and it is within walking distance from the cathedral. It is this old house and garden that has been revived, Crook Hall and garden. A garden has been here for hundreds of years. I deliberately had England to be the bookends of my trip. Its England first for 11 days when I can see it in its most glorious. Then I leave for Scandinavia, Finland and the continent, and I come back to England. This garden has satisfied my every desire to see glorious English countryside, home and garden. I found it all in Crook Hall and garden. But as with all major endeavor, before embarkation, refreshment in the form of tea and cake must be obligatory. Here am I in the tearoom, amidst mismatched china, I'm having tea and cake. We'll visit the garden and home when I'm done.

No comments: